[Parkman, OH: Dec. 1830 - Nov. 1831, Dec. 1835 - Aug. 1836]. Manuscript account book, stitched sheets (no cover), 30 x 10 cm., 40 pp. of entries. The ledger records transactions with customers for flaxseed oil, flax seed and flax seed meal, in bushels, barrels, quarts, etc., approx. 10 - 17 entries per page. In addition there are seasonal entries for farm accounts, including driving ox teams, hauling wood and lumber from the saw mill, hauling barrels of cider to customers, wheat to the grist mill, plowing and planting corn, haying, etc. Records are also kept for payments to E.L. Parkman and Joseph Farington for days worked in the mill in 1831. By March 1836, Parkman had evidently taken on a bigger roll as the first entry reads: "J.P. Converse Book, by E.L. Parkman 1835 & 1836." Age toning to paper, but entries legible. Numerous early residents names are present here including Daniel Owens, Julius Hatch, John Stillman, D[aniel] G. Converse, William Bullard, E[dward] Farrington, Ransom Smith, A[ugustus] Sayles, Wm. B. Young, etc. Item #66928
Samuel Parkman (1751-1824), a wealthy Boston merchant purchased over 17,000 acres of land in the Western Reserve from the Connecticut Land Company in about 1797. He sent his nephew Robert Breck Parkman (1771-1832) to survey and settle what became Parkman, Ohio in 1804. Robert Parkman, trained as a lawyer, became the first postmaster of the town. He also built a grist mill and a saw mill. John P. Converse (1792-1865), a native of Vermont, moved to Parkman, Ohio in 1818, opening a hotel there. He married Parkman's younger sister Hannah that same year. Together Parkman and Converse built a distillery, a linseed oil mill to process flax, a paper mill, etc., all contributing to the prosperity of the town. The linseed oil mill, the only one in the vicinity, "created a ready market for flax-seed, producing, therefrom, a valuable commodity which was always in demand." [Flax seed meal was used to feed livestock and flax seed oil was a preservative for wood.] Converse also worked to build roads and establish a stage line to carry passengers and mail in the area and later represented the county in the State legislature in 1842-43. [see: "Pioneer and General History of Geauga County, with Sketches of Some of the Pioneers and Prominent Men," published by The Historical Society of Geauga County in 1880]
Robert B. Parkman was at work rebuilding the flour mill which had burned down in 1830 when he died in March 1832. Converse completed the work in 1834. This may explain the gap in records in this ledger, and the reorganization of the businesses Converse and Parkman owned together to include E[rastus?] L. Parkman, possibly a nephew.