Berkeley Springs, W. Va. "The News" Book and Job Print, 1894. Black lettered grey paper wrappers (chipped and soiled), stitched. 19 cm. (4), 46 pp. Corrections in ink and pencil scattered throughout the text. Signed in type by J.H. Buzzerd, Mayor. Signed in ink by S.S. Buzzerd, Recorder of the Council of the Corporation of Bath. No listings found on OCLC. The pamphlet is accompanied by a reproduced typescript of the Charter for the town of Bath, Chapter One Hundred and Seventy Three of the Acts of the Legislature, "An Act to amend the charter of the town of Bath, in the county of Morgan. Passed February 28, 1872." 33 cm. (5) pp., stapled and secured with a brad along the top page edges, Creased from folding; a copy of a blueprint "Plat of the Town of Bath," originally recorded by H. Bedinger, C.B.C., on the 25th day of Sept., 1798, and recorded in the County Court House, Martinsburg, W.V., in Deed Book 15, pg. 44. 27 x 45 cm., folded in thirds, short closed tears along the top margin, showing the Springs, Bath Square, the main streets, and numbered plats; a reproduced copy of a "Map of Morgan County" showing the location of Bath / Berkeley Springs. Single sheet, 28 x 21 cm. showing the rivers, streams, primary and secondary roads, etc. Item #66917
The town of Bath was originally incorporated by the state of Virginia in 1776, but was later referred to by its Berkeley Springs post office designation. "Up until the Civil War both names were used. Since then, the world has come to know the town around the warm springs as Berkeley Springs although Bath remains the official municipal name." [see the article on Berkeley Springs history by Jeanne Mozier on the town's website]
Simeon Strother Buzzerd (1869-1959), a newspaper editor and publisher, was founder of the Morgan Messenger in Berkeley Springs in 1893.