Single sheet of parchment, 33 x 65 cm. folded in eighths, very good condition, with eight intact seals. Docketed on verso. The 1704 document is a sale of 160 acres of land, "with the houses edifices premises & appurtenances therein belonging," to John Vandervere (c. 1671-1732) of Flatbush "Nassaw Island" (Long Island, NY) from his siblings, "Minikes Vandervere & Marija his wife, Daniell Polhemus & Neltie his wife, John Darlant & Marijke his wife, Hendricke Vandervere & Coba Vandervere" for "five hundred pounds currant mony of Newyork." Their father, Cornelius Vandervere (b. ca. 1671) died earlier in 1704 and apparently willed the land to his sons and daughters equally; some of the buildings were constructed by both "Cornelius Vandervere deceased and Daniel Polhemus." All of the granting parties signed the contract at the bottom of the document (eight signatures). It is a matter of remarkable condition that each signature has an ingenious corresponding parchment flap protecting the signers seals; and that all of the seals are in very good condition. An early colonial American legal manuscript.
Comelis Janse Van der Veer emigrated from North Holland in 1659 and purchased property in Flatbush in 1677-1678. The following is taken from a Brooklyn, NY Archaeological Assessment of Jamaica CSO - Fresh Creek North Project, prepared in 1974 by Joan Geismar for O'Brien & Gere, Engineers, tracing the land ownership and development of the area: "Based on deeds, he [Van der Veer] and his son-in-law, David Polhemus, had built a dwelling house and 'corn mill' on the west side of Fresh Creek prior to 1704. Both Vanderveer (also Vandevere and Van Derveer) and Polhemus are cited in Lieutenant-Governor Thomas Dongan's Flatbush patent of 1685. Cornelius apparently died in 1704; no will has been found, but it is cited in one of the family deeds (Vanderveer 1704), and in this year all his children and sons-in-law signed a written agreement that obliged them to care for Trijnitie de Mandeville 'Vandervere,' their mother (and mother-in-law) and Cornelis's widow (Agreement 1704). Several deeds representing the division of Vanderveer's estate among his children and sons-in-law (e.g., Vanderveer 1704), note that the property included 'all that Lott of meadow in the twelve Lotts soe (sic) called' designated Lot Number Seven. Landesman [in his "History of New Lots"] indicates that Vanderveer ownership of this property dated to the late seventeenth century; he also notes that they became 'one of the wealthiest and most influential families in the region' (1977:25)." Item #66151