Partly printed document, completed in manuscript, and signed by Sarah P. Walker, Oliver C. Cutter, and James Walker. Folio sheet, 43 x 28 cm. Docketed on verso, noting the five year lease was to be in effect from Oct. 1, 1849 to Oct. 1, 1854. Creased from folding, one short, closed tear at left margin (not affecting text), else a crisp copy. Item #66147
James Walker [Sr.] built the National House in 1835 in Charlestown, between City Square and the Navy Yard. Records of the Charlestown Historical Society note that Walker was an avid fisherman who frequently served bass in the hotel dining room from his fishing expeditions on the Charles River Bridge. The National House was enlarged and altered in 1849. According to an article in the Boston Globe on Sept. 25, 1899, Walker's hotel "became popular at once and was the resort of public men and private citizens from afar, as well as those at home [and] the special rendezvous of naval men because of its proximity to the navy yard...." After about ten years as proprietor, Walker sold the business to his son-in-law Oliver Cutter. James Walker Jr. joined Cutter in the business in 1849, and the two ran it together for a time, as evidenced by this lease.