November 29, 1845. Single sheet of blue paper, 7.75 x 9.75 inches, approx. 36 words, folded with integral address. Folds, remains of wax seal, very good. The Handbook of Texas by The Texas State Historical Association states that "Camp Corpus Christi was established in November 1850, when Lt. Col. J. J. Abercrombie rented quarters there for two companies of the Fifth Infantry." However, it appears the camp was in operation at least five years earlier since Captain George H. Crosman, Asst. Quartermaster, was at Corpus Christi in 1845 when he approved a map of the area made by a settler. In this letter, Assistant Quartermaster General Col. Trueman Cross, writes to him, in 1845, from "Camp Corpus Christi," asking for another wagon to accompany Pay Master Dix on a trip to San Antonio. This was one month before Texas was formally admitted to the Union. After Mexican leaders threatened to invade Texas for the purpose of reconquering the lost province, the governments of both the Republic of Texas and the United States mutually agreed that the United States would station troops on Texas soil as soon as the offer of annexation was accepted. By the end of August 1845, Brigadier General Zachary Taylor ("Old Rough and Ready") and his men were in place at Corpus Christi. The Mexican-American War began in April of 1846.
The author of this letter, Colonel Trueman Cross (1796 -1846), was born in Maryland and entered the Army in 1814. He rose to the rank of Colonel, and during the early days of the Mexican War served as Assistant Quartermaster General of General Zachary Taylor's Army of Occupation, until his death in April 1846, while horseback riding, probably at the hands of Mexican guerillas. The letter's recipient, Capt George H. Crosman (1799-1882), of Taunton Massachusetts, was active in the Military Occupation of Texas, as Assistant Quartermaster, 1845-46, and in the War with Mexico. He was among the first officers in the army to advocate the military use of camels for transportation of supplies. Item #65889