OLD CITY HALL ON SCHOOL ST 1858 [manuscript caption title]

OLD CITY HALL ON SCHOOL ST 1858 [manuscript caption title]

[Boston, MA]: 1858. Photograph 29 x 25.5 cm. laid on heavy card stock. 46 x 40.5 cm. An image of the building, surrounded by a wrought iron fence, a lamppost in the foreground at one corner. Two older typed labels laid down on the verso. First label: "This is an original photograph made in 1858 from the wet-plate negative. It was part of a large collection of old photographs of Boston scenes which was donated to the Boston City Club when its new building was erected on Ashburton Place in 1912. The photographs hung on the walls of the Club rooms until the Club sold the building to the United Fund in 1946 and moved to smaller quarters in Court Square." Second label: " This structure stood on School Street, one of the principal and earliest public ways in old Boston. It was erected in 1810 and it was designed by the famous architect, Charles Bulfinch. It was first a court-house, but later became City Hall until it was demolished in 1863 (corrected in pencil to 1862), to make way for the "new" City Hall which was used until the "new" City Hall was erected in Government Center. Item #65516

Price: $250.00

See all items in Americana, Architecture, Photography