ARTICLES OF INCORPORATION OF THE COON VALLEY RAILROAD CO. [Caption title]. Railroad, Iowa, Broadside.

ARTICLES OF INCORPORATION OF THE COON VALLEY RAILROAD CO. [Caption title].

NP: np, [1868]. Broadside. 30 x 17.5 cm. Text in three columns, signed in type by six officers of the corporation. Margins cropped very close, touching the bottom line of text in each column, with slight loss. An ink notation on verso has migrated through, faintly, to recto. The company, to be headquartered at Adel (Dallas Co.), west of Des Moines, apparently never got off the ground. The History of Dallas County (1879) mentions only two other railroads in Adel Township. The purpose of the Coon Valley Railroad Company was to construct a line from Adel along the Raccoon River Valley to Van Meter, Iowa, a distance of about 6 or 7 miles, connecting there with the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific line. Operations were to commence on December 4, 1868. Seven directors are named: F.S. Graham; Benjamin Greene; Era Willard; J.R. Van Meter; Emanuel Goughnour; William A. Wilson; and James B. Brenton [Brenton's name does not appear with the other typed signatures at the end of the broadside, possibly trimmed?]. Joseph H. Strong is to be Secretary and Treasurer. The History of Dallas County states that Adel, the county seat, was laid out in 1847. Joseph H. Strong built a grist-mill there in 1856 and Benjamin Greene had a vineyard as well as thirty acres in fruit trees. No publications relating to the Coon Valley Railroad found in OCLC. Item #64778

WE WILL HAVE A RAILROAD CATALOG LATER IN THE SUMMER. LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE AN EMAIL COPY.

Price: $300.00

See all items in Americana
See all items by , ,