FREE MILITARY SCHOOL FOR APPLICANTS FOR COMMANDS OF COLORED TROOPS, No. 1210 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, Established by the Supervisory Committee for Recruiting Colored Regiments

Philadelphia [PA]: King & Baird, Printers, No. 607 Sansom Street, 1863. First Edition. 8vo. 21 cm. 12 pp. Original glossy black printed wrapper with gilt stamping, lacks rear wrapper, front wrapper is chipped around edges and detached. The Free Military School for Applicants for the Command of Colored Regiments opened in Philadelphia on December 26, 1863 under preceptor John H. Taggart, once a colonel of the 12th Pennsylvania Reserve. Applicants to the school underwent rigorous training and, once they passed, were sent into the field with a regiment of African American soldiers. The school was formed and supported by the Philadelphia Supervisory Committee for Recruiting Colored Regiments, which also appealed to the local community of free African Americans to join the ranks of the military by issuing announcements calling for them to fight for America, for those still enslaved, and to prove their equality as citizens. The school remained open until late 1864. Item #64348

Price: $750.00

See all items in Americana
See all items by