Cambridge: May 17. Single sheet, partly printed, completed in manuscript, 17 x 10 cm. Old vertical fold line, reinforced with an archival repair on verso. This notice, signed in ink by Thaddeus Mason (1706-1802), notifies the town of Concord that the time for renewing inn holding and retailing (liquor) licenses will be "Tuesday the 19th day of September next, at Concord, when and where you are desired to make Return thereof, with the names of the persons approbated by you." Nine inn holders are listed as well as five retailers: Ephm. Jones, Saml. Swan, Jos. Butler, Rebek'h. Haywood, Abishai Brown, Thos. Davis, Am. Wright, Jno. Green and Willm. Parkman (Innholders), and Eln. Jones, Jos. Hurd, Jno. White, Stephn. Blood Jr. and Jno. Meriam (Retailers).
The verso, all in manuscript contains several lines of the deliberations of the selectmen which have been crossed through, and then an additional section which states: "At a meeting of the Selectmen of Concord, on the 10th day of September inst, having Considered the with(in?) list do approve of the following Persons as Inn holders & Retailers of Spiritous Liquors...." The names of seven innholders and two retailers include [a slightly different list from the recto]: Capn. Ephraim Jones, Capn. Joseph Butler, Mr. Saml. Swan, Mrs. Rebecca Haywood, Majr. Abishai Brown, Mr. Amos Wright, and Mr Willm. Parkman, Innholders and Mesr Jno. Meriam, and Eln. Jones, Retailers. This is signed by Selectmen "Ephm. Wood, John Buttrick, George Minott; Sept ye 17th 1780" Item #63926
Thaddeus Mason was a son of John and Elizabeth (Spring) Mason, of Lexington, Mass., and was born December 26, 1706, graduated at Harvard College 1728, and died May 1, 1802, aged 95. He was the private secretary of Gov. Belcher, whose son Jonathan was his classmate. He also held the offices of Deputy Naval Officer; Deputy Secretary of the Province; and Clerk of the Middlesex Courts from 1735-1789, and Register of Deeds. His daughter Rebecca was the mother of the Rev. Thaddeus Mason Harris, D.D., of Dorchester. [See Lucius Paige's History of Cambridge, (Boston: 1887), pp. 606-7.]
One of the licensed innholders was Amos Wright, owner of Wright's Tavern, a gathering place for the Minutemen on April 19, 1775, the day of the battle of Lexington and Concord.