Hand-made yearbook of original photos, 10 x 8 in., leather front cover and hand-lettered title page detached, spine perished. A small oval photo of the college laid down, and "Photos by Wolf" printed in manuscript on the title page. Laid down on stiff black album pages, one to a page (with one exception, a photo and photo postcard on one page) are two views of the college, one small contact sheet of a man, showing five different poses, and 56 individual oval images, the first of College Pres. E[rnest] R. Nichols, the rest of the graduates, 35 men and 20 women, in the 1903 class. Their names are written in ink or pencil below the photos. Laid in loose at the back of the album is a group portrait, 7 x 10 in., likely a reunion photo, of 14 well dressed middle aged men and women, most wearing name tags, dated "1943" on verso. Item #63638
Kansas State Agricultural College was the first school created under the Morrill Act which was signed into law by Pres. Abraham Lincoln in 1863 establishing land-grant colleges in eligible U.S. territories. Formerly known as Bluemont Central College, Kansas State was founded in February 1863. The school grew to 1570 students by 1899, under the tenure of Pres. Nichols as the college extended its technical and scientific education departments. [see: "History of the Kansas State Agricultural College," by Dr. J.D. Walters (The College: 1909)].