January 1953. Oblong 12mo. 64pp. A hand-made brochure containing typed entries, charts, a folding sketch map of the Braconne Ordnance Depot and 15 original photos bound into a black cloth folder, prepared exclusively for Brig. Gen. Earl S. Gruver, Chief, Ordnance Division, Hq USAREUR, for his use during his first tour of the Ordnance Supply Group and its subordinate installations in France and Germany. This copy, created by PFC Raymond E. Rush of the Personnel & Administration Branch, who has penned his name on the first page, contains a typed history of each ordnance, and including an organizational chart, layout area, and statistics for each. The foreword is signed in ink by F.E. Hendler, Lt. Col. Ord. Corps Commanding, and dated January 1953. The photos, varying in size from 3 x 2 1/2 in. to 3 x 4 in., include photos of the various commanding officers of the installations, and gated entrances to the depots at Germersheim, Mannheim, Pirmasens, and Rhine in Germany, and Braconne, Fontenet, and Nancy in France. An illustrated title on the front cover, and an illustration of the 7847th patch and other symbols on the rear cover, printed on stiff card stock, are laid down on the boards. Item #63636
Brig. General Earl S. Gruver (1898-1963), an instructor for ordnance and gunnery at West Point, saw service during World War II as an Ordanance Officer for the U.S. Military Mission in Cairo, Egypt. According to a brief biography in the Ordnance Corps Hall of Fame records, he was transferred to England late in 1944 where he assisted in the preparations for the invasion of Europe as Chief of the Planning Division, Ordnance Section. He was Chief of the Industrial Activities Division in the Office of the Under Secretary of War from 1945-1946. In 1952, he was sent to Heidelberg, as Ordnance Officer of the U.S. Army in Europe.
Lt. Col. Frederic E. Hendler was placed in command of the 7847th, which was formed in July 1951, charged with constructing seven depots and supplying thousands of vehicles to member countries of NATO from the Germersheim depot. [see: Stars & Stripes, July 27, 1952].