Oblong 8vo. 120 black & white photos, varying in size (8 x 6, 4 x 6 1/4, 4 3/4 x 3 3/4, 2 1/2 x 2, etc.) laid down on both sides of the black paper album sheets. Two of the pages are detached, two or three of the photos have some closed tears, but all are clear. The images show ships and submarines in the harbor, a military base with barracks, train tracks, and outbuildings, a crew of men salvaging an amphibious aircraft, some kind of dirigible being kept partially grounded by ropes and men, a ship passing through a lock in the Panama Canal, a crowd of people observing a submarine floating just off a dock, a group of sailors piling onto a train waving American flags, some members of a Navy band flanked by a large group of sailors, troops and officers at attention, a group photo of officers in dress uniforms, sailors standing atop the partially submerged C-2 submarine, several photos of amphibious open cockpit biplanes and the aerial images they produced of the Canal Zone, views of the countryside and town life, as well as candid photos of the sailors at work and off-duty. Item #62277
According to the "Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships," (Wash., DC: 1959), p.1: “C-2 (Submarine No. 13) was launched 8 April 1909 as “Stingray” by Fore River Shipbuilding Co., Quincy, Mass…. Stingray, assigned to the Atlantic Torpedo Fleet and later the Atlantic Submarine Flotilla, cruised east coast waters until 20 May 1913, when she cleared Norfolk, Va., for 6 months of operations from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. In December she reported at Cristobal, C.Z., and began an operating schedule of torpedo practice, exploration of anchorages, and harbor defense duty at ports of the Canal Zone. During the latter part of World War I, C-2 patrolled the Florida coast. The submarine was placed in ordinary at Coco Solo, C.Z., 22 August 1919, and was decommissioned there 23 December 1919. She was sold 13 April 1920.”.