April 1837. An illustrated manuscript with 30 illustrations, including 22 with full coloring, 4 with color highlighting, and 4 black & white, plus numerous tables. Three-quarter leather and marbled boards (rubbed), front joint starting; title "Artillery" stamped in gilt on spine. Previous owner's bookplate on front pastedown. 21 cm. A neatly hand-printed title page, 2pp. index, and 313 hand-numbered pages of text and illustrations. Chapters of instruction include: General construction for Brass Guns, for Iron Guns; Spiking Ordnance, General rules for elevating Field Guns, Examining & Proving Ordnance, Guaging Shot and Shells, Ricochet Firing, A Detail of equipment for field Batteries, and Remarks on Military Law. The expertly rendered drawings depict the general construction of iron guns, the horizontal boring machine at the Royal Arsenal in Woolwich, copper molds for driving rockets, a cartridge filler, a Gibralter Gyn, etc. Item #62068
William Collier Menzies was a career British Officer in the Royal Engineers, a 2nd Lieutenant by May 1837. He had followed his father Gen. Charles Menzies (1783-1866), commander of the Royal Marine Artillery from 1838-1844, into service. Menzies was in the Office of Ordnance in 1838, with the rank of 1st Lieutenant. He was promoted to 2nd Captain in 1846, and by 1869 he was a Colonel, commanding the Royal Engineers. Menzies retired with the rank of General in 1881.