Buffalo, NY: Gies & Co., nd [ca.1890]. Color lithograph advertisement, 13 x 42 in. image, on an 18 x 46 in. sheet. A view of the vast brick complex of the Davis Sewing Machine Company, including the surrounding neighborhoods and streets of Dayton. Trains are seen coming and going in th background, chimneys of the factor emit clouds of smoke, people pass in horse drawn carriages, and in one instance, what appears to be a self propelled vehicle. Workers arrive on foot and on bicycle. Margins of the litho show old staining, browning and some closed tears (particularly to the right margin); some of the browning on the right extends faintly into the image. Overall the color is bright. Item #61998
The Davis Sewing Machine Company began operations in Watertown, NY in 1866, but relocated to Dayton, Ohio around 1889. The immense factory covered seven acres there. In addition to sewing machines, the company produced bicycles beginning in 1892. By 1905 the Davis Company was producing 600 bicycles and 600 sewing machines a day, and employing over 2000 people, according to an article in the Dayton Daily News in 1932. Davis was talso he main supplier of sewing machines to Sears, Roebuck & Co. from 1900 to 1912.
Charles Gies founded Gies & Co. in Buffalo, with George Dunston in 1875, according to Jay Last's "The Color Explosion: Nineteenth Century Lithography," [Santa Ana, CA: 2005], p.85. By 1880 the firm had 75 employees and was producing lithograph labels, advertising posters, calendars and pamphlets.
No listings found on OCLC.