Milwaukee, WI: The Gugler Litho. Co. nd [ca.1885]. Color lithograph, 19 x 27 in. image, on a 24 x 32 in. sheet. The several barns of the Holbert Horse Importing Company are shown, the roofs and walls lettered with advertisements for their services as importers of Percherons, Belgians, and English Shires, as well as suppliers of draft, coach and hackney horses. In the yard in front of the barns groups of horses stand with their red shirted trainers, potential buyers in top hats and bowlers peruse the stock. A nice bright image. Item #61996
Aaron B. Holbert (1853- established his horse breeding and importing business in Greeley, Iowa in 1878. The enterprise grew to have an international reputation in the field of breeding and selling registered horses in the United States. [see Capt. John Merry's "History of Delaware County, Iowa," [Chicago: 1914], v.1, pp.281-2]
Henry Gugler and his son Julius joined the firm of Henry Seifert in Milwaukee in 1872, taking charge of the lithography department and bringing the first steam power press to Milwaukee, according to Jay Last in his "The Color Explosion: Nineteenth-Century American Lithography," [Santa Ana, CA: 2005], pp.88-9. They formed their own firm of H. Gugler & Son in Milwaukee in 1878, and when Henry died in 1883, Julius and his brothers created Gugler Lithographic Company.
No listings found on OCLC.