(1900-1941). Two manuscript account ledgers. Folio, 544pp.; 472 pp. Worn brown leather. Entries for the W.S. Anderson Company of Washington D.C., wholesale produce dealers, covering their business dealings from 1900-1941. One ledger includes the accounts held with various suppliers, people and firms for whom they acted as commission agents in the south and mid-west, including New York, Ohio, Maryland, Virginia, North and South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida, showing the diversity of places and produce distributed through rail in this period. The other ledger is filled with names of local customers: Academy of Sacred Heart, Arlington Hotel, Bancroft Hotel, Co. A Hospital Corps, Ebbitt House, Georgetown College, Gonzaga College, Maryland Agricultural College and University Club, Washington City Orphanage, etc. Item #61494
The W.S. Anderson Company, successors to E.E. Anderson & Bro., established in 1865, specialized in Southern Fruits and Vegetables, as well as foreign and domestic produce in Washington, D.C. for several decades, according to an ad they ran in the Georgetown College Journal in 1897.