Philadelphia, PA: The saloon, 1865. The photograph is housed in a gilt-stamped light green envelope, produced for the purpose with a window on the upper panel through which the photo could be viewed, and annotated "The UVR Saloon / as it appeared in 1864 & 1865" in ink manuscript by Samuel B. Fales, the organizer of the Philadelphia branch; on the verso of the envelope is a signed statement by Fales, as "Correspondg Secy" attesting to the number of meals furnished "U.S. Soldiers, Sailors, Refugees, Freedmen, Contrabands & Rebel deserters," their cost and other services, with an accompanying slip on which he has written a signed note "The Union Volunteer Refreshment Saloon was closed Augt. 28th 1865, reopened Augt. 30th, finally closed Dec. 1st 1865. The Buildings were torn down Jany 3d 1866 — nothing left to mark the spot. This photograph represents the saloon Dec. 1st 1865." All accompanied by a Patriotic billhead for use as a receipt by the Cooper Shop at the saloon and an engraved folding card, featuring views of the saloon building and its attached hospital, both at the "Foot of Washington St." on the covers, the pages inside printing lists of officers and committees and five paragraphs of text concerning the mission of the organization ("Ives Pr. & Stationer, N.E. Walnut & Dock Sts., Philadelphia, Oct., 1862), and a complimentary paper card, scalloped at the top, listing the officers, members of the saloon committee, and members of the "Committee of Ladies." Six pieces of ephemera, all in very good condition. (#5206). Item #58187
"One of the most active and successful of the numerous organizations designed to aid Union soldiers during the Civil War was the Union Volunteer Refreshment Saloon, founded in Philadelphia on May 27, 1861. During more than four years of its existence, the saloon provided (free of charge) food, drink, and comfortable lodging for soldiers headed into active field service, and a separate hospital provided care for the sick and wounded. Under the direction of an energetic staff, including a large number of women, the Saloon remained open until August 28, 1865" (Clements Library Fales Collection). One of the organizers, Samuel B. Fales (1804-1880), a native of Boston and Harvard graduate and a wealthy collector of paintings and other art works, suspended those activities to help the war effort on the home front, lobbying the wealthy to support the Saloon. During the course of the war, the Saloon served more than a million meals and provided other services at a cost of more than $130,000. In addition to material in the Fales papers at the Clements Library, more related papers may be found at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania (a letterbook from the Union Volunteer Refreshment Saloon containing more than 400 telegrams received by Saloon workers and nine linear feet of material from another Fales archive).