St. Louis, (MO): 1826. Printed broadside, 10 1/2 x 12 5/8 inches, employing several sizes and styles of type, inlcluding three large display types; docketed on the verso (with ink bleed-through). The broadside announces the sale of property owned by Charles Gratiot, describing a large parcel of land with home and outbuildings on Main Street in St. Louis and a tract of land "on the River des Peres, about six miles from the city." The final four lines of the text outline terms. At least five newspapers were operating in St. Louis at the time this broadside was printed, but we were unable to find mention of it in available online and print reference works. Nice display copy of an apparently unrecorded early St. Louis broadside. Foxed, creased from old folds, but very good. (2405). Item #55326
Gratiot (1752-1817), a native of Switzerland, emigrated to Montreal, Canada, as a young man to help an uncle in the fur trade. He moved to the Illinois country in 1777 to open a store in Cahokia, financing George Rogers Clark's 1778-79 campaign in the revolution before moving on to St. Louis in 1781. There he became one of the city's most important merchants, buying heavily in land and serving in various civic positions during his later years. His widow died in 1825 occasioning this sale on behalf of his many children.