Columbian and Great West / With a Circulation of 16 Thousand! Albert G. Richardson, Proprietor. William B. Shattuck, Editor / [preceded by a large cut of the newspaper's building, 6 x 6 inches, two other illustrations, address, and other information concerning the business and followed by solicitations to subscribers and agents in five large horizontal panels, all enclosed by a bold wide border]

Cincinnati, OH: Columbian and Great West, 1854. Large printed broadside, 36 1/2 x 24 inches, employing a variety of sizes and styles of type, including numerous large display types. Apparently not located on OCLC (which does describe an 1852 carrier's address from this paper); however, the American Antiquarian Society holds four broadsides from this newspaper, similar in style and content to this one, issued 1850-1853. Folded several times; tear into text through upper margin, several small breaks at folds, but a very good example of an attractive exhibition broadside. Item #51468

Apparently unrecorded. The Cincinnati weekly newspaper and literary periodical was formed with the merger of two earlier weeklies, The Great West, 1848-1850, and The Columbian, 1849-1850, and was published for five years, 1850-1855, before ending a short run as The Dollar Weekly Columbian, 1855-1856; the company also published The Daily Columbian, "universally acknowledged the best news and commercial paper in the West." This broadside was issued as an appeal to subscribers and agents to solicit new subscribers, the advertising here offering rewards ranging from 200 gold dollars to the
agent sending in the largest list, to gift volumes of novels published by the paper for individual subscriptions; in addition, there are advertisements for novels and other periodicals published by the company and announcements for new serial works that were to appear in future issues. (#5070).

Price: $1,500.00

See all items in Americana