CHARTER OF THE CITY OF SHIELDSBOROUGH, HANCOCK COUNTY, MISS. [wrapper title].
[Shieldsborough, MS?]: 1866. 8vo. (2), (22) pp. Original printed wrappers, stitching perished, old ink note on front wrapper. Very good. (Item ID: 44247)
First edition. A rare municipal reconstruction-era charter for a Mississippi city. Shieldsborough, with its name derived from a land grant given Thomas Shields after the American Revolution, was incorporated in 1817. Until that time it had been known as "Bay St. Louis" in honor of Louis IX, crusader and saint, on whose birth date it was discovered by the French, 25 August 1699; the original name was revived in 1882. Reputed to be the third oldest city on the Gulf Coast and the first incorporated city in Mississippi, it became the county seat of Hancock County. Not recorded on OCLC or RLIN, nor in Sabin or the NUC.